Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Android without Google

From: Nikos Roussos
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Android without Google
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:01:00 +0300

On Tue, 2012-10-09 at 12:48 +0200, Alexey Eromenko wrote:
1. I have heard about 3rd party Android markets, but never used them.
This needs some research.

There are several markets other than Google Play that provide proprietary apps in case you need them.
I wouldn't call them 3rd party because they are as official to Android Open Source Project as Google Play is.

2. Ask vendors, and Open Source projects to provide APK directly,
bypassing Google Play. I'm sure FireFox are willing to do that.

Besides installing Firefox through F-Droid, Mozilla is providing a direct download apk link for Aurora
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/aurora/

Effectively, for best experience having a Google Play device is a
MUST. (esp if you are not Richard Stallman, and are using some
proprietary software...)
I haven't installed Google Play to my phone (or any other Google app) and I can't say I miss much.

--
Nikos Roussos
Support FSFE: http://fsfe.org/support/?comzeradd