Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu malware: what to do?

From: Jay Cassano
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu malware: what to do?
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 12:15:12 -0500

I'm going to go against the grain here slightly and argue that we should redouble efforts to get this *out* of Ubuntu rather than abandoning Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a key entry point for a lot of people into the world of free software, even if they are not stalwart defenders of it. I, for one, wouldn't know anything about free software or the FSF if it weren't for starting out with Ubuntu.

This is not at all to belittle the concerns people have expressed about Ubuntu, as I share them completely and will be encouraging my family members to move away from Ubuntu. But for me it's a question of thinking strategically about what's best for the free software movement - and I think having a popular, accessible, easy-to-use distribution like Ubuntu is immensely beneficial to our movement and we should therefore work within Ubuntu to change it rather than jettisoning it.

Jay