Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in HTML5

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] DRM in HTML5
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:42:19 -0400

Hi

On 12 March 2013 19:03, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak <rysiek@fwioo.pl> wrote:

> I have gotten news that DRM is going to make it into HTML5. Anybody
> can confirm it?

https://www.google.com/search?q=drm+html5 first page brings me to

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-02/17/bbc-drm-w3c

and

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/23/microsoft_google_netflix_html5_drm_infection/

and the 3rd link in the Wired article is to

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media-fpwd.html

> If that's true, maybe we should create some commotion around the topic
> - some joint open letter of organisations and people on this list, for
> starters?
>
> I can't actually believe that W3C is considering it, but that's the
> news I got.

The real news here is that Sir Tim Berners-Lee supported it in the Q&A
of his SXSW keynote.

http://boingboing.net/2013/03/12/why-tim-berners-lee-is-wrong-a.html

Cheers
Dave