Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org

From: Kẏra
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 22:07:10 -0400

On Thu, 2013-07-04 at 22:55 +0200, Brandon Invergo wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I hope this is the right place to bring this up.
>
> I'm a member of the GNU Advisory Board and we are considering the
> possibility of setting up a GNU Developer Network.  Developer Networks
> can take many forms but in general they provide a central place for
> developers to find documentation, tutorials and other information
> related to software development, as well as the opportunity to discuss
> and interact with other developers.
>
> We considered some ready-made software for this, such as the one Mozilla
> uses for their network, but we determined that it would not be feasible
> to maintain it.  After weighing our options, we felt that it would be
> best for us to try to take advantage of infrastructure that we already
> have.  rms suggested that we could use the LibrePlanet wiki.  A wiki
> would be a good fit for the kind of activity that would go on in a dev
> network, so it seems like a good suggestion to me.
>
> So, I come to you with the proposal that we carve out a corner of the LP
> wiki for a developer network.  What do you think about this as a general
> idea?  Are there any specific technical or other practical
> considerations that we must make?  Are you opposed to something that
> would (ideally) end up consisting of many pages?  I know that it's a
> community site but since this is a large undertaking, it's better to get
> community (and sysadmin) approval first.  And lastly, is there anyone
> who is interested in joining in on this?

I think this is a fantastic idea. The best way to do this might be to
contribute all GNU-specific materials to the GNU project group (and
subpages) http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:GNU

Then general information about free software can be put in the main
namespace. Example: http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Free_software

I'd be interesting in helping with this effort! Can you give me more
details on what is involved?

> There are is a practical concern that we have.  How does LibrePlanet
> moderate its content, since everything is user-generated?  We could not
> support, for example, people recommending proprietary software in the
> developer network.  Likewise, we would have to be careful that people
> aren't calling the system "Linux" and that they are aware that we are
> developing free, not "open source", software.

Our Code of Conduct does say that participants should advocate freedom
over openness. We have not had any situations where admins have had to
step in.