Re: [libreplanet-discuss] TurboCash

From: David Loyall
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] TurboCash
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:47:38 -0600

Hello.

NB I am not familiar with the details of the TurboCASH situation so my
commentary is based only on the content of the wikipedia page and my
own experience with small, windows-only software that has migrated to
free licenses.

Sounds like TurboCASH just needs time and patches.  The developers and
the community should not be punished for their dependency on non-free
software.  It sounds like they aspire to eliminate those legacy
dependencies.

There was this non-free game for PC called Descent, back in the mid
nineties.  (It wasn't called a non-free game back then, it was just
called a cool game!)  At some point, the source was re-licensed as
free software, but not the artwork, and the build depended on non-free
compilers.  For a year or so, folks who had access to those compilers
were releasing binaries, new builds of the game, and all along they
were also working to make it build under gcc.  Long story short: they
eventually succeeded and many derivative projects have been created,
including http://packages.debian.org/unstable/d2x-rebirth .

Free Software Supporters are one thing, and Fans are another.
TurboCASH has Fans.  Many of them might not be radicals.  But some of
them must be, because they've declared their intent by re-licensing
the application under GPL.

Ok, now I've looked at http://sourceforge.net/projects/turbocash/ and
their wiki and I see that they have a very long path ahead of them. :P

Quiliro, if you chose another accounting product over TurboCASH due to
some failure on their part to adhere to free-software principles or
some technical issue, please describe your choice in the form of a bug
report: http://sourceforge.net/p/turbocash/bugs/

If you would like help with the language of the bug report, contact me
directly or via this mailing list.

Cheers,
--Hobbes