Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software programming

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software programming
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 12:52:40 -0300

On 12/30/2014 04:55 AM, Trad Kildani wrote:
> Hello there!I'm someone interested in programming in general and free
> software in particular. I want to become a free software developer but don't
> know where  to start.I have a Bachelor's degree in mathematics and have
> programmed in C for a some time in the past (I've written several small
> programs), and have some knowledge of Python, but I can by no means
> considered a professional programmer.
>  I do have a reasonable amount of maturity and knowledge of how computer
> programs 'work',and the rudiments of programming: basic data structures, flow
> statements ... etc, and I have the interest and readiness to learn something
> new.
> So in short, I want some guidance as to how and where to start assuming for
> the beginning that I'm a complete novice.
> many thanks.

*** Hello Trad Kildani,

the best way to start is to look at the source code of a program you're
interested in.  Something you're using, and want to know how it works,
or maybe something you're frustrated with because it lacks a
functionality you'd like, or you bumped into a bug.

Look at that program's website, source code repository, manual, and bug
tracker.  In the bug tracker you will find unsolved issues that you
might be able to tackle yourself.  Not all bugs are made equal: if some
are really hard to solve, some are simple.  Start with simple bugs, as
it's better to achieve something than build a career on frustration.

Finally, software freedom is about the users of the programs, not only
about the technique.  As a free software developer you have a social
responsibility, and that is to provide users with technology that will
help them seize and keep control of their computing.  A great place to
meet with fellow developers and users are the Internet Relay Chat (e.g.,
irc.freenode.net, irc.oftc.net) and hackerspaces, where you can learn
from each other.  Around each program lies a community.  Depending on
where you live, there may be a hackerspace near you: go there!  If not,
there may be a local user group: go there!  Otherwise, you may want to
consider starting one yourself.

Happy hacking!

==
hk