Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)

From: Miles Fidelman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 07:34:59 -0400

Will Hill wrote:
I'd rather deliver a knock out blow to them by removing copyright protection
for non free software.

For those who are advocating this, can I assume that you realize this would require a change to the law, unless authors explicitly release their software to the "public domain?" (Works are automatically copyrighted by their author, unless you go to lengths to avoid it.) I expect the likelihood of such a legal change is just about nil.

And... if you DO release code to the public domain, that leaves others free to make a few modifications, and/or bundle that code with other code, and copyright the whole mess.

Copyleft, among other things, is a way to prevent that kind of abuse.

Miles Fidelman