Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software freedom is the only viable business m

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Software freedom is the only viable business model.
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 08:49:21 +0100

I have a stupid question about GPL.

A) Could I start up a company. Write up a software package with GPL licence,
give the binaries for free but charge $millions for the code if they want it? I
would not show the code unless I was paid. Of course, whoever paid for it could
now give it out for free. I would be fine for that. But if I did not sell the
code to anyone and I saw my code in the wild I could sue whoever was
distribuiting it?

Or could I say for the same GPL software same situation (A) but both binaries
and code are worth $millions.