Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What would be your response to these Free Soft

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What would be your response to these Free Software concerns?
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 09:01:38 +0100

El 16 de abril de 2015 21:22:43 GMT+01:00, Advrk Aplmrkt <avkaplmkt@gmail.com>
escribió:
>Dear list,
>
>I have recently learned of a charitable computer project on
>Kickstarter called Endless Computers:
>
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1381437927/endless-computers
>
>It aims to bring a good and education computing experience to a wider
>audience in the developing world. I perceive a lot of love and passion
>behind this project. However, I was concerned about the software
>freedom behind it, so I emailed the developers.
>
>Apparently they have much of their code on GitHub, but is reluctant to
>run this product on pure Free Software. I think they have
>understandable concerns (listed in their response below), and I wonder
>how the folks on this list my reply to those concerns? I don't think
>just bashing them for not making the software free is constructive,
>especially when they are actually very well-meaning. Are there
>tangible examples of how those problems might be alleviated?Thank
>you!!

I will start by saying I am no expert so please review.

Why start from scratch when OLPC allready exists?

http://www.laptop.org/

Maybe that will help them feel less need to get proprietary software.
I have installed TOAST (trisquel version) and it is amazing. Promoting a bit of
synergy should go a long way. Also there is 'kids on computers'
http://twit.tv/show/floss-weekly/323 they mainly focus on promoting free
software.

They have excellent strategies to get by without internet connection. Sharing
activities in the local network. Imagine that.

The reason behind them using free software is probably conviction and to avoid
vendor lock-in. Also gives it a bit more global vision to the project. The
royal academy of the asturian language changed to ubuntu from microsoft because
microsoft did not support their language.

Also they mention india
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2903512/india-backs-open-source-software-for-egovernance-projects.html
This is in recent news.

--