Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,

From: arthur_torrey
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] The FSF Allows No Derivatives,
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 01:38:14 +0000 (UTC)

My recollection is that there are different 'section types' in the Gnu Free
Documentation License (GFDL) and most of them DO allow derivative works.  The
only exception is the 'invariant' sections, which don't.  The invariant
sections are usually supposed to be 'editorial comment' like the words of RMS,
which shouldn't be modified for reasons stated in earlier messages because of
the risks of misrepresenting the writer.

The only real issue I've heard in the way of complaints about the GFDL is that
if trying to do a compilation of multiple GFDL documents (i.e. if trying to put
together a manual on using a GNU based system) then it becomes problematic to
deal with the invariant sections which are largely duplicative and supposedly
have to be kept with the main part of the document.  I haven't tried doing this
sort of thing so no first hand experience to confirm or deny this...

In terms of RMS saying that "creating derivatives of published works without
permission is morally ok, but not translations. Translations are not ok."  I'm
not going to comment on morality, but my understanding of Copyright law is that
publishing a direct translation violates the Copyright holder's rights - but
the US Supreme Court has said that derivatives (at least parodies) are
protected works - I forget the case name, but it involved a book called "The
Wind Done Gone" which was a parody of 'Gone With the Wind' which told the story
from the viewpoint of one of the slaves....  Thus RMS is correct from a legal
standpoint.  (Note, IANAL)

ART