Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Hello, and setting up a server

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Hello, and setting up a server
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 13:01:30 -0500

Server/Client is a false dichotomy designed to make you think of yourself as
helpless and to make people afraid of sharing.  Attaching any computer to a
network opens that computer to attack but a person running a free software
social network is safer than someone simply browsing with malicious software
like Microsoft Windows which is already an ongoing security disaster.

It should be no more difficult to provide high quality social network software
with reasonable default settings than it is to provide desktop software and
my own experience says that's true.  I'm an ordinary user but I've been able
to run "server" software for more than a decade without problems.

http://50.80.140.55/photo_album/chron/desktop/gateway_index.html

I have no "security" illusions.  Skilled crackers could easily break my
computers, but they can do that no matter what I run.  The worst they can do
is what software owners already do to non free software users - they can take
over my computer, invade my privacy, keep me from being able to share, and
otherwise use my computer against me and my neighbors.  My best protection is
the free software community and multiple backups of things I consider
important.

Make yourself a full citizen of the internet today!  Share with your friends,
family and strangers.  Your computer can do it.