Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Fwd: The FSF Allows No Derivatives
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 18:47:53 -0700

Yoni,

There problem with your conclusion is in the assertion that *allowing*
people to make derivative works detracts from or removes your original
version.

Software is typically made where everyone collaborates on one result,
although forks occur. Cultural works usually are written where you have
one person's expression (which is nearly always at least inspired by, if
not directly drawing on, previous works) and then others make
expressions that may incorporate or draw on that work. Both works end up
existing and both reflect the work and perspectives of the author.

You seem to be conflating the *freedoms* to make derivative work
culturally with the question of whether a work is collaboratively edited
in a wiki style.

I have a blog. I license it CC-BY-SA. I will be happy for people to use
writings and work I've done in their own derivative works. Doing so does
*not* involve changing anything on my blog. It has NO effect on taking
away my personal expression and the identification of my words with my
own views.

--
Aaron Wolf
co-founder, Snowdrift.coop