Re: [libreplanet-discuss] C.H.I.P. $9 computer respects your freedom, wh

From: Michael Lamb
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] C.H.I.P. $9 computer respects your freedom, when you don't need GPU/Video/etc., perhaps
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:20:09 -0500

> > This is common, and is even worse for the other single-board computer
> ??? ... I think that CHIP is not worse than that.

I'm sorry, my phrasing was unclear. I meant: CHIP is flawed, and being
flawed is common. For example, the more-popular Raspberry Pi is worse
than CHIP, because it can't even boot without binary blobs. You and I
both agree with the statements on the FSF page.

> I think that the FSF page is relevant for CHIP (as of today).  CHIP
> would not be acceptable (from the viewpoint of freedom-respecting
> computer) when you want to use its GPU and video encoder/decoder with
> full features.

I agree. I hoped that the social media person's statements contrary to
the FSF page meant that the design had changed and the CHIP is now
freedom-respecting. But from the replies here and the lack of reply
from them, I doubt this is the case.

> When we don't use GPU and video, a board with Allwinner SoC could be a
> good computer.  So, it depends if it's serious flaw or not.

I expect it will remain "seriously flawed" due to the WiFi/GPU/VPU
blobs. But maybe a "seriously flawed" but still-usable computer for
only $9 is still a good thing for many people.

I hope that low price will make it effortless to introduce children
and students to general-purpose computing with free software.
Especially children, whom parents might discourage from using the
expensive family computer (or installing free software on it) for fear
they might "break" it.