Re: [libreplanet-discuss] crowdfunding free software (was: rewards for c

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] crowdfunding free software (was: rewards for crowdfunding Free Software projects)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 20:04:33 +0100

On 20/12/15 19:50, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> This whole issue is complex, and it relates to what we're trying to do
> with Snowdrift.coop — we are making a system more specifically designed
> for the challenges faced by free/libre/open projects.
>
> Here's our run-down of why these reward-focused campaigns are ill-fit:
> https://snowdrift.coop/p/snowdrift/w/en/threshold-systems
>
> But anyway, we aren't operating yet (although we're working hard to get
> there). We ran our own one-off drive and continue accepting regular
> donations during our pre-launch phase. We did thanks, stickers,
> sponsored-commits, shirts, that sort of thing. It's a lot of work and
> hassle and we have to think of the whole thing as publicity value as
> much as money because the costs and hassle of this type of fundraising
> are substantial…

Thanks for this feedback - it is worth noting that in any industry
(whether it is in research, in a big corporation, non-profit, etc) there
are overheads for getting funds for projects.

The bigger questions are:

- how does crowdfunding relate to the alternatives?

- if people go for serious targets (six-figure dollar amounts), can they
realistically budget for the month they spend making videos, preparing
the rewards, risk factor, etc?

- do certain types or project fare better than others?

Maybe these questions are better discussed on a thread on the more
general issue of crowdfunding though, so I changed the subject line.