Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 08:48:30 -0500

Le 2016-02-04 03:35, Fabio Pesari a écrit :
Which free programs need more attention in
order to replace their proprietary counterparts?

- Health-related (personal health data) and mobile software, but also hardware

I recently came across this project: http://ggc.sourceforge.net/
"GNU Gluco Control (ggc) is a Java (Open Source) application that helps you manage your diabetes. It supports several (more than 40) diabetes devices (meters, pumps and CGMSes) and helps user manage his/hers diabetes, with nice reports, graphs and statistics."

Glucometers and other similar devices (pedometers, hearth monitors, etc) are often managed *exclusively* with proprietary software, or at least that's what the companies selling these devices will make you think. The data is increasingly stored on cloud services specific to each company, in proprietary formats. Mobile software availability makes this worse, assuming the service is not discontinued and its data disappears (ie. Google Health).

I'd like to see the FSF talk to companies like Xiaomi (manufacturers of Mi Band devices) so they become certified and they have proper accompanying software which they contribute financially under FSF (or SFC? Apache foundation?) guidance. Gadget Bridge could also serve as a universal mobile app for such devices ( https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdid=nodomain.freeyourgadget.gadgetbridge ). This extends to smart watches like the Pebble, etc.

Over the years I've helped and continue helping people migrate to better and more IT freedom, but now all these devices are imposing themselves and giving proprietary software a huge comeback I didn't expect. It's getting harder to argue with your doctor when even their clinic "recommends" such devices.

F.

--
Fabián Rodríguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca