Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Buying the rights to proprietary programs to f

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Buying the rights to proprietary programs to free them
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 08:10:11 -0500

Le 2016-02-05 05:25, Fabio Pesari a écrit :
Can this be done?

I know of at least one succesful big project that went that way. We may learn a lot from this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1755283828/open-source-edition-of-livecode

At the time I was providing commercial support for this and couldn't believe it would make it (and it did!). I haven't followed the project very closely since then but I remember this funding ( £493,795 or 845K USD at the time!) was managed by the original company. We'd to ask them why they did it in the first place and look closely how their current financing/business model works.

Keep in mind LiveCode is software used by thousands of people, there is big annual conference, books, etc. - something I had no clue about until I got that contract.

In a previous thread about priority projects I mentioned health-related software and hardware, it never hirts to directly ask the company if they would considering opening up their source code and publishing it under a Free license, but I bet it would go way further iw we could say "XYZ already has governance / financial / legal structure to help you achieve this", although most companies wouldn't agree to letting their product go. I lack the time to elaborate at the moment but this is certainly something we already have all the pieces around for, just not clearly or actively proposed to proprietary software companies that I know of.

- Fabian

--
Fabián Rodríguez
http://fsf.magicfab.ca