Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Solving the prisoner's dilemma in crowdfunding

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Solving the prisoner's dilemma in crowdfunding
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 17:56:49 +0000

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the link to snowdrift.coop! I have always wondered about how modern free (as in freedom) software projects can find a sustainable source of funding, I think free software advocates need to seriously tackle this issue, and looks like lots of thought went into your project's design.

I've quickly read through a few of your linked pages. Sorry if I missed something, but a few questions:

(1) If I sign up as a patron for a free software project, sounds like I'll be making monthly contributions. However, I admit my default attitude is to make one lump sum payment to obtain a piece of (libre) software and leave it at that. Is snowdrift.coop's argument that I should change this attitude to one where I'm willing to make monthly contributions even after I have already obtained the software I want? *Or* will it work if, for example, I decide I want to contribute $25 to a software project, so I sign up to be a patron and pay small amounts monthly until a total of $25 have been contributed after which I "unsubscribe"?

(2) Is there a model for how *new* libre software projects can get off the ground using the snowdrift.coop system?

(3) Can something like this be applied to free works in general and not just software? If so, will this ever be part of the snowdrift.coop?

Again I apologise if I misunderstood something, if so please correct me. Thanks for doing such a cool project, do let me know how I can help!