Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is there any software that is libre but not gr

From: Thomas HARDING
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Is there any software that is libre but not gratis?
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 19:07:37 +0100

On 24/02/2016 02:38, Sam Pablo Kuper wrote:
This is a genuine question. My impression is that the set of software
that is wholly libre but is not available gratis, is an empty set.

However, my knowledge of libre software is limited compared to that of
this mailing list's users.

If you know of any examples of software that are libre but not available
gratis, I would be grateful to know about them.

My impression is that Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), for instance, is
not in that set, because the parts of RHEL that are not available gratis
are also not libre, and so RHEL as a whole is not libre (even though
*most* of its constituent parts are indeed libre).

Officially, RHEL do not charge for software but support.

However, RedHat is turning its subcription model to RHSM (RedHat Subscription Manager). Just something more complex as before to settle users.

Obviously, there is no way to get RHEL installation nor packages updates without register for support, with for except: getting the whole sources.

Moreover, to register or, worse, maintain a single instance of RHEL offline turns to a complete nightmare (a single instance, not hundreds of where you could setup a "RedHat satellite" system).

IMHO: if what you really want is RedHat, and want it reliable,
just get CentOS then fund that last project for same amount you'll
paid for the first (if you likely you can count for "sockets").

--
Je suis née pour partager : non la haine, mais l'amour.
                                            Sophocle,