Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 72, Issue 59

From: Harsh Gupta
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 72, Issue 59
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 00:53:42 +0530

> There are hundreds of thousands of young developers around the world
> today, especially in places like India and China, who are still forming
> their own opinions about what is right and wrong.

As a current student in India, I feel this point is very valid. We have a clean
slate out here, not only in terms of opinions of developers but also in terms
of users and bureaucracy. Our bureaucracy is willing of listen to the voices of
the people in Free Software Movement. Our government adapted the policy of
using FOSS for applications government builds [1]. A month ago we prohibited
the differential pricing on data, which is a big win for net neutrality [2].
Just a few days ago our patent office said no to software patents [3].

80% of our population isn't yet connected to the internet and a larger number
of us don't own computers. We can make sure that they start with softwares and
services that respects their freedom. If you want to Free Software to succeed
India, China and other third world countries are places to look at.

[1]: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/tech-news/Govt-announces-policy-on-open-source-software/articleshow/46745926.cms
[2]: http://qz.com/612082/sorry-facebook-india-has-decided-to-remain-a-land-of-free-and-open-internet/
[3]: http://sflc.in/press-release-indian-patent-office-says-no-to-software-patents/

--