Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Proposal for "FUD responses" wiki pages
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 15:06:17 -0800

On 02/29/2016 02:56 PM, Fabio Pesari wrote:
> On 02/29/2016 11:28 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>> Oh, this approach works just fine. +114 votes for my top comment that
>> killed the entire FUD of a super-active bunch of arguing:
>>
>> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3e395n/why_i_am_progpl/ctb923f
>
> Nice! But I'd like to see you try somewhere more hostile than /r/linux,
> since there is still a sizable portion of copyleft supporters there
> (even though I admit most people there are Valve and Google apologists).
>
> Try asking the developers of a popular permissively licensed program if
> they want to relicense their program to GPLv3 on IRC and if you convince
> them using those arguments, only then will I be truly amazed.

My argument only really applies to stopping FUD. I've convinced some
people to embrace GPL overall, but the details of other projects depend
on too many factors to be general. Some cases are just ignorant, some
are actively business-oriented and saying that they need to make
proprietary stuff as their business strategy, some don't give a shit…

Also, note that *relicensing* is much more troublesome than just
choosing a license. I've gotten many cases of new projects to choose
copyleft. It's much easier when they don't already have a community
around a popular project. Once they have a community, it might even
include people proprieterizing their thing, and then the switch is going
to actively upset those people.