Re: [libreplanet-discuss] We need a Great campaign To tell the programme

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] We need a Great campaign To tell the programmers to improve their programs To work well with the screen Reader
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 23:58:35 +0800

On 21/03/16 19:20, Ali Abdul Ghani wrote:
> hi
> A lot of programs do not work with screen readers
> and Now, the problem has become much Larger
> And its became a problem in the web after the appearance of html5
>
> now aMany Web applications do not work with screen readers
> Most programmers do not care for the  screen reader when writing programs
> This makes the blind use computers with difficulty
> and They can not use a lot of programs
>

> We need a Great campaign To tell the programmers to improve their
> programs To work well with the  screen  Reader

I agree this is important but simply "telling programmers to improve
their programs" does not sound sufficient

Ultimately, programmers need to feed their families and this often means
prioritizing the work their employers or clients demand

Each time some new requirement is imposed on free software developers
(e.g. the requirement for Debian Developers to write the
debian/copyright file in a machine-readable format), it appears that the
net outcome is people actually produce (or share) less code rather than
more.  For people who do free software development on a voluntary basis,
having a checklist of 1001 rules that have to be observed takes out all
the fun.

I don't believe your goal is unworthy, nor do I believe it is
unachievable, but I feel that you need to be more creative.  Think about
creating economic incentives, helping programmers receive grants from
charities and creating awards to recognize programmers who do what you
feel is correct.  There are probably many more things that can be done
too.  It is no secret that bosses of some disability charities and
medical professionals who serve people with disabilities are receiving
more than reasonable compensation for their work, do you agree
programmers deserve the same?

Regards,

Daniel