Re: [libreplanet-discuss] freedom problems in docker

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] freedom problems in docker
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2016 19:38:34 -0400

  > Docker itself and additional software are licensed under the Apache 2.0
  > license. The Docker Hub which stores both proprietary and free/libre
  > packages is not free software but the underlying repository hosting/storage
  > software is licensed under the Apache 2.0.

That is good.

  > That means we can do what F-Droid and what free/libre repos for
  > Ubuntu/Debian are doing and provide an alternative repository that only
  > hosts free/libre application containers.

Right.

  > The biggest issue is that the default repository is set to Docker Hub which
  > contains both free and non-free application containers (which can be seen
  > here: https://github.com/docker/docker/blob/master/registry/config.go#L54)

When free distros contain a copy of Docker's code to run a container,
it should be modified to point at the free repository we will make.

Thus, Docker is one more case of a repo we need to filter.
We already know of several such repos.  They are all basically
the same kind of issue: we should make filtered repos.

Does someone want to work on making some filtered repos?
All you need to do is arrange to be able to serve a filtered version
of some repository.  You don't need to set up an actual site:
the FSF can do that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman