Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping friends kill their facebook accounts

From: Dave Rolek
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping friends kill their facebook accounts
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:51:32 -0400

On 04/29/2016 05:42 PM, Rudolf wrote:
It seems more than two people are in agreement with what should be done.

Someone should start or add on to a wiki page on Libreplanet wiki if these actions are the right thing to do. It would be nice to have the above collected discussion in a publicly accessible space

-rudolf

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM Serge <sakhmatd@riseup.net> wrote:
> We all have a Facebook account actually, some of us just haven't
> activated it yet:
>
> http://www.dailydot.com/news/facebook-shadow-profiles-privacy-faq/

Unless your friends who use Facebook don't actually upload photos of
you and don't talk about you much.

I do realize that rarely happens though.

On the subject line, I think doing what was previously recommended
would be best: personally let friends know, provide contacts and kill
it off. I heard that Facebook permanently deletes all archived data
after the account is kept disabled for a while, but I can't say if that
is true or not.

Actually, knowing Facebook's practices, it probably isn't, but I am
certain there is a legal way of pressuring them into it if need be.

No matter what sort of legal pressure could be put on facebook to delete you from their live data, I do not fathom it legally feasible to pressure into deleting you from their backups.  Even the technical feasibility of that is extremely low.

So if your concern is more than just facebook - e.g. government authorities - I think that data will remain collected essentially forever...

Just a thought to keep in mind, I suppose.

dmr