[libreplanet-discuss] telling friends when you stop using facebook

From: Andri Effendi
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] telling friends when you stop using facebook
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2016 09:34:31 +0000

Hi All,
I made a pledge that by New Years Eve / New Years Day Midnight 2015-2016
I would completely get rid of FaceBook.

I did. (well at least from my end, since its unknown if facebook will
ever actually get rid of my data)

I gave 6 months Notice to all my "friends".

It actually gave me a great Idea of who my Real Friends are.
Those who wanted to stay in contact with me actually contacted me.

Email and Signal are the main methods that we all communicate now other
than in person.

It's not difficult once you have gone without Face Book for a few months
because it really free's up your Time as well as boosting your Freedom
and Privacy.

I don't have to be bugged with corporate or political propaganda which
would some how make it into my feed, and I know longer have to worry
about my posts being censored.

You can live without FaceBook!
Go out with people, write them an Encrypted message with Signal.

I even have taught a few of my former FaceBook "friends" to use GPG and
now communicate with them using that.

Before you say GPG is too hard, it's not. I did have to spend about 1/2
an hour with a few people to get them using it, and they actually use it
now.

Here are my tips.
1. Give your friends plenty of notice on FaceBook that you will be
leaving soon (NO more than 6 Months).

i) Make sure you repeat the message several times to make sure that your
message has been seen.

ii) if you are still unsure if people have seen your message, contact
them via instant message, letting them know you are leaving facebook

2. Ask to meet in person (good if you can) to exchange contact details
like EMAIL, PHONE NUMBERS, MOBILE NUMBERS, ADDRESSES.

3. Get them to download SIGNAL and teach them how to use it.
If they won't take your privacy seriously, they are not really your
friends.
(It's not worth keeping in touch at all if, they won't bother to
communicate in a reasonably, easy, secure way like using SIGNAL)

4. It is not difficult to setup an email address if they don't already
have one. There are so many to choose from.
(If they don't already have one, ask them to avoid all the SIGINT
enabled ones like GMAIL, ICLOUD, OUTLOOK or YAHOO etc.)

5. Give a lesson in EMAIL SELF DEFENCE with GPG
Here is a guide: https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

When MSN was popular people thought they wouldn't be able to live
without it, turns out everybody can.

It is the exact same with FaceBook, You can get rid of it.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
--
Andri Effendi <fusionman133@gmx.de>
Organiser of The Free Software Movement in Sydney

GPG fingerprint: 8438 138D ECDA 05E0 591F  F2B4 4721 0F03 AC24 DF73
Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted.