Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Management Engine

From: Ali Razeen
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Management Engine
Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 22:02:31 -0400

> On May 2, 2016, at 9:28 PM, Zaphod <justThisGuyYouKnow@nigge.rs> wrote:
>
> The Libreboot project has gone into depth about this subject.
> Here are two convenient links for you to navigate to.
>
> https://libreboot.org/faq/#intel
> https://libreboot.org/faq/#amd
>
> et aurum non est mihi
>

> Julien Kyou on May 02:
>> I am aware that ME's are bad (Intel's and AMD's) but I cannot find the
>> information needed to make an informed decision as to whether/how-much
>> I care.
>>
>> Until just recently I didn't even think to consider Freedom in
>> Hardware. I purchased things as if they would then belong to me. As a
>> result I have much propriety crap, but the centerpiece of my
>> collection is an Intel LGA2011-v3 cpu.
>>
>> I am stuck because this could make fantastic (powerful) server, but at
>> what cost (to my freedom)
>
> <0x638FEC71.asc>

This is a topic that I think about quite often and I am very concerned. As far
as the explanation on the libreboot page goes, it basically boils down to “no
support for newer hardware.” I don’t know what the short-term/long-term
solutions may be. For a while, I assumed that we might get some progress
through the puri.sm project (https://puri.sm). They had regular blog updates on
free-ing up the firmware and the last I heard, they were trying to disable the
ME. Unfortunately, there has been no updates on that front. The last update
might be the one posted here:
https://puri.sm/posts/weekly-update-on-librem-production-2015-10-29/.

As individuals, I have no idea how much power we have. Collectively, we might
be able to do something. There is *no* reason why the ME should be a mandatory
feature on all new CPUs. Users must have the option of disabling it. Otherwise,
we don’t have any freedom nor privacy. Encryption won’t be useful either
because whoever is controlling the ME can read the private key, wherever it is
stored, or just grab the data unencrypted when the machine is being used.

I’ve been wanting to buy a personal desktop machine for a while now and each
time I try to spec out the machine, I come away discouraged. I’d like a modern
X86 platform but that’s not possible. If I look at ARM-based SBCs (Single-board
computers), they all have tons of issues too; binary blobs, promised
source-code not being released, etc. etc.. It’s very infuriating.

I think it might not be a stretch to declare that the only way to use a “modern
platform” is to run non-free software. If that is unacceptable, then one must
make do with the old ThinkPads that run libreboot,

Ali