Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liber

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Update on freeyourstuff.cc (content/user liberation)
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 08:53:22 -0700

On 05/11/2016 12:43 AM, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
> On 10/05/16 20:08, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
>> Please note that (if I have well understood) in some countries
>> (i.e. Italy) copyright laws do not admit releasing a work as
>> public domain unless after many years since their creation: so CC0
>> might produce the same effect that "all rights reserved"...
> Is this not the very problem that CC0 was made to solve?

No, this is a total misunderstanding of CC0. The entire point of CC0 is
that it is better than just saying "public domain". It is specifically
written to have a license fallback and other wording that makes it
completely clear that *if* a country does not effectively recognize a
truly free public domain, CC0 counts as a copyright license that has the
same practical effect.

This is the very reason that people emphasize the need to use CC0
*instead* of just saying "public domain". CC0 achieves the *effect* of
public domain by *either* releasing all copyright claims *or* providing
a totally unrestricted copyright license, depending on whichever fits
the laws of a jurisdiction.

Go read the license and the explanations of it. And then continue to
bring up your concerns, but bring them up when people carelessly
advocate for "public domain" instead of CC0 and tell them to stick to CC0.