Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What is ThinkPenguin?

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What is ThinkPenguin?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 09:43:39 -0700

This is pretty simple:

I happen to have talked with the ThinkPenguin folks at enough
conferences to know that you won't ever find a hardware team more
dedicated to and supportive of software freedom. I don't otherwise know
them, in that the only interactions I've had were around software
freedom issues at relevant events. But it's clear that they never make
any choice to compromise anything in terms of freedom if they have an
option otherwise. In other words, they will get you the most free new
stuff that you can find, even though that sometimes means the thing
isn't completely free.

ThinkPenguin would never choose a less-free option when a more-free
option is available, and they put in real time and effort to increase
the amount of freedom in their products. In other words, you can trust
them. You're not going to find a non-free aspect of ThinkPenguin
products where they had any chance of doing better. They wouldn't ever
do anything non-free themselves (like where their actions make something
non-free).

They're also very knowledgeable and friendly folks, so if you want to
learn about the challenges of getting any particular non-free sort of
hardware, you should ask them about the situation. They can probably
explain the situation to you and what the status is overall.

One of the main ThinkPenguin folks is also the main person behing
https://librecmc.org which is one of the few 100% free GNU-certified
systems listed at https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

So, again, ThinkPenguin folks are of the highest caliber for free/libre
values. Hope that answers your questions.

Cheers,
Aaron Wolf
co-founder, Snowdrift.coop