Re: [libreplanet-discuss] a free income for software developers?

From: Sergei Akhmatdinov
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] a free income for software developers?
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 14:25:51 -0400

> Switzerland has just had a referendum on giving all citizens a free
> basic income of about CHF 2,500 per month (equivalent to USD 2,500 per
> month)
>
> Should countries consider a similar scheme, but exclusively for
> software developers who create things at their own discretion under a
> free license for the benefit of the whole economy?
>
> Is anybody aware of any scheme or employment that approximates this
> concept?  e.g. Google gives their staff 20% of their time to code a
> project of their own choosing.

The state of New York was proposing a 20% tax credit to free software
developers.
https://opensource.com/government/16/3/ny-bill-tax-credit-open-source-contributors

I am unsure as to whether the bill passed or not. Either way, shame on
them for using the term "open source". OSI reached out to the state with
proposals, but I am not sure if the FSF ever did.

Cheers,
--
Sergei Akhmatdinov

My GPG public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys AD800D99