Re: [libreplanet-discuss] suggestion/help. GPL enforcement.

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] suggestion/help. GPL enforcement.
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 15:42:48 -0400

al3xu5 / dotcommon <dotcommon@autistici.org> writes:

> If copyright laws didn't exist, then we would not need GPL!
> GPL exists just to "circumvent" copyright...
> Regards

Unfortunately that's not the case. It's true that the GPL uses the power
of copyright against copyright, but it also uses copyright to protect
users against non-copyright aggression, including EULAs and patents. If
copyright went away first, we would have no GPL (in its current
incarnation), and proprietary restrictions on software and its
distribution could still be enforced using EULAs (contracts).

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://my.fsf.org/join>.