Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Distil Networks blocks entire websites if you

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Distil Networks blocks entire websites if you protect privacy at all
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2016 22:40:28 -0700

On 06/07/2016 10:37 PM, Julien Kyou wrote:
> On June 8, 2016 1:10:04 AM AST, Aaron Wolf <wolftune@riseup.net> wrote:
>

> https://help.distilnetworks.com/hc/en-us/articles/212154438-Third-Party-Browser-Plugins-That-Block-JavaScript
>
>     I was going to a website and was redirected to a special page where I
>     have to request access because this security system is not letting me
>     even see the website at all. Yes, I run free software privacy plugins…
>
>     This is really shitty, and I'm not even figuring out how to get past it.
>     I don't know if it blacklisted my IP or just I don't have the right
>     combination of privacy tools turned off, but this is totally obnoxious.
>     I don't really even know how to find contact info for the website to
>     explain to them this terrible experience since I can't even get to the
>     website.
>
>     This trend is super troubling. If a website buys into this company's
>     security claims and
>     approach, they won't even likely get feedback well
>     and may not even recognize the problems.
>

> I ran across a site like that once. I had to disable libreJS to complain.

In my case, I tried that, but then I had it re-enabled when I visited
again, and I think they blacklisted my IP. This is an atrocious system
based on undermining the privacy of legitimate human readers just in
attempts to stop scrapers (as far as I can tell).

I found an email to complain to the site in question, but I'm worried
about this direction overall.