Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [directory-discuss] What the free software com

From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] [directory-discuss] What the free software community needs more than programs...
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2016 10:28:40 -0300

Just for the record, for those wanting to change the requirements
according to what is taken as consideration with this proposal: I spoke
with contributors of the directory and some organizers of the meetings
(Jgay participated on the debate), and we consider that these
crippleware *are* somehow useful free/libre software (specially because
a free software activist can make a parent project out of it), and so we
came up with two alternatives that can be used *instead* of removing the
entries. At least one of the following is recommended:

* Insert a message telling the viewer that the entry is about the
*free/libre* edition of the software, and not about the non-free one,
and that the free software movement doesn't recommend the non-free one.
I, *personally*, suggest that this message is displayed with emphasis
(like red boxes, with warning symbol and so on), but it's OK to have a
simple text message (similar but longer than what the entry about Krita
has).

* Instead of linking to the projects official page, resources,
documentation, source code and so on: Link to a page from a free system
distribution that provides such software. This avoids attracting people
to the non-free functional data.