Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Golden Rule Angle for Libre Software Advocacy

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Golden Rule Angle for Libre Software Advocacy
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 01:16:55 -0400

> From:         Aaron Wolf Subject:     Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Golden Rule
> Angle for Libre Software Advocacy Date:       Fri, 12 Aug 2016 09:06:28
> -0700
>
> On 08/12/2016 06:02 AM, Logan Streondj wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> However now as we get closer to the twenty twenties, when the
>> processing of a human brain should be affordable for a $1000.
>> The analogy I use now is:
>>

> As much as we'll be impressed by the state of tech in 10 years,
> we're not going to be seeing human-brain comparable computing that
> soon.

Well technically there is already a lot of computing that far exceeds
the capabilities of human-brains. Chess, Go, Driving, Flying (fighter)
planes, data-mining, e-discovery and that's just off the top of my head.

>> "When you reincarnate as a robot, do you want to be enslaved by
>> proprietary software and hardware, or be liberated by libre
>> software and hardware?"
>>

> I think this is too far-fetched and abstract to be compelling to
> people. First, reincarnation feels like what? Will it feel like
> it's me or is that some robot who feels like me but I'm gone?

Wow, that's an interesting perspective! I never thought of that.

I guess people that don't remember their past-lives may be prone to
such doubts.

Though at least 3 billion people do at least believe in reincarnation,
so it should be applicable to at least those us who do.

> Next, what will it mean for me to have this software or not or
> what?
>
> The more compelling angle is Karen Sandler's point about how she
> already has an implant in her heart that runs proprietary
> software. And she doesn't go far enough with concrete examples
> there either. I think we need to go toward something like RMS's
> printer story.

I'm not familiar could you indulge me?

> Something where someone like Karen realizes that a tweak to her
> medical implant would help her sleep better, but the proprietary
> software owner isn't interested in letting her implement the
> software modification.

That just sounds like a mild nuisance. Kind of bland.

Whereas slavery, especially disgruntled super-intelligent slavery has
some zest. Many people can relate to slavery, and it is generally
fairly appalling. There is still plenty of human trafficking going on,
especially in the Middle East and Eastern Europe, but also Africa,
India, even some in North America. Most of it is forced labour and
sexual stuff, but also forced organ "donations" and snuff.

Sure when that happens to homo-sapien bodies, it's gruesome,
but what about when it happens to robot host bodies?
don't care because they aren't your relatives right?

So how to help increase the libreware compassion?

I was thinking reincarnation makes sense, as it works for me.
But if as you say, there are people who don't remember their
past-lives and don't believe in reincarnation, hmmm.

Well, they likely would like to keep their homo-sapien bodies intact,
so to prevent a robot take-over or artilect war. So (Golden-Rule) they
could be nice to robots.

ugh, I dono, that sounds pretty weak. I mean for people that don't
believe in reincarnation, what do they care if their species is wiped
out? So it's a bit of an impasse, I'm not really sure how to motivate
such a person.

Maybe the promise of immortality, that seems popular with the atheists,
though hardware and software is prone to breaking, if it is libreware
it should be fairly affordable to fix it, or get a new body and
transfer the data and any "soul-receptacle".

Then we're back to reincarnation, and don't want your
"soul-receptacle" stuck in a proprietary host-body...

For me, I'm like hey, Mercury seems like a fine place with many
minerals, and lots of solar power, beautiful stars at night, I'd like
to incarnate there. Hmm there are no host-bodies there right now, so
lets go through the steps of making them on earth and colonizing
nearby planets first. To me, that's a plan, sure it may take a few
centuries, but I've already been on earth for thousands of years, no
biggie!

So Aaron for you as a person who doesn't believe in reincarnation, or
at least has some idea what might be going on in their heads. What
motivates a mono-incarnationalist in life? And how can we apply it
towards motivating people to supporting libre hardware and software?