Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 9

From: IngeGNUe
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] libreplanet-discuss Digest, Vol 79, Issue 9
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 19:26:40 -0400

Actually... I will go ahead and help clarify. With all due respect to
John and Georgia, there are a few errors:

On 09/09/2016 10:10 AM, John Sullivan wrote:
> The problem here is that the clarification included an escalation saying
> "and I'm sick of people complaining about everything being possibly
> offensive." I agree with Georgia's response to that escalation,
> reminding everyone that we are going to maintain standards of respectful
> and inclusive communication on this list. If someone does say that a
> joke or comment makes them uncomfortable, we are going to take that
> seriously, we are going to assume good faith on the part of everyone,
> and we expect others here to do that too. We are not going to respond to
> points people raise in good faith with slippery slope arguments about
> how anyone could theoretically complain about anything. The day someone
> *actually* says that saying "the ocean is blue" offends them is the day
> we will address that complaint.
>
> So while the debate/discussion about the effectiveness of renaming
> companies and brands toward different free software movement goals is
> welcome here, the shots at the list's overall standards for respectful
> communication are not. Please abide that and keep the conversation on
> topic.

The clarification was made respectfully. After the clarification, Bob
commented on the use of humor. To which Serge and I responded in hearty
disagreement.

Serge expressed his perturbation at Bob's idea, then I agreed with Serge.

Georgia responded and mistakenly said that Serge said "PayEnemy", when
that was actually me. She also mistakenly thought that Serge's comment
about "I am so sick of this new society quirk" (direct quote) was
directed at the person who *did not understand*, when that is not the case.

In regard to "the shots at the list's overall standards", I do not think
that he is referring to your list's standards. He was responding to Bob
who was saying that humor (PayEnemy) is not a good idea because some
people might not understand, and made a comment about society, not
anyone in particular. With regard to the slippery slope argument, while
I understand the merit of being clear in favor of being funny, the
analogy is useful as I think "PayEnemy" is as inoffensive "the sky is
blue" but I'll leave that to the reader to decide.

I hope that when understood in context, this all makes more sense.

IngeGNUe