Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GNU GPL vs Consumer Guarantees Act

From: Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GNU GPL vs Consumer Guarantees Act
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:01:37 -0300

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 09:37:47AM -0400, Adam Van Ymeren wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 6:06 AM, Thadeu Lima de Souza Cascardo
> <cascardo@cascardo.eti.br> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:24:36PM +1200, Kesara Rathnayake wrote:
> >> Hi Cascardo,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the reply.
> >> Your explanation makes sense.
> >> I think I have to looked into see how NZ Consumer Guarantees act applies
> >> to goods and services distributed for free.
> >>

> > See Part 5, Section 41 "Exceptions".
> >
> > "
> > (1) Nothing in this Act shall apply in any case where goods or services are
> > supplied otherwise than in trade.
> >
> > (2) Nothing in this Act shall give any person a right of redress against
> > a charitable organisation in any case where goods or services are
> > supplied by the charitable organisation for the principal purpose of
> > benefiting the person to whom the supply is made.
> > "
> >
> > I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.
> >
> > I guess item 1 would apply here.
>
> I wouldn't expect it to apply in cases where someone sold GPL software
> though.  If it was freely downloadable that's one thing, but if you
> sold it then I would expect the New Zealand consumer guarantee act to
> apply.

That's what I meant by apply "here", in this case, in the case you
referred when services are distributed for free, that is, not as part of
a trade.

As part of a trade, it's not too much different than here in Brazil, and
there is nothing in the GPL preventing you from doing that. The seller
is the one that needs to offer the guarantees, not the original authors.
And the license allows that as I mentioned before.

Cascardo.