Re: [libreplanet-discuss] language of prisoner vs liberty software

From: Felix Posselt
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] language of prisoner vs liberty software
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 16:36:20 +0200

On Mo, 2016-09-26 at 09:33 -0400, Logan Streondj wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Many people do not know what proprietary means.
> It also does not translate well
> most languages do not have a word for it.
>
> If I attempt to promote software liberty on the street, one of the
> first questions is "what is proprietary?".
>
> Proprietary means it is owned, and held, that it's rights have been
> taken away. Thus it is a prisoner, it can not escape, it can not be
> mixed or copied.
>
> I suggest we use the term prisoner software in our propaganda, as it
> can be understood in the majority of languages by the majority of people.

If your aim is to make free software mainstream, you should use
mainstream convetions.
Calling non-free software sounds rather extreme and will be associated
as such.

I get our problem, i have a hard time too explaining the term
proprietary.
My solution was to simply use RMS quote, that either the user controls
the software or the software the user that is, the developer, and
proprietary means, the software can't be controlled by the user in the
first place.
> We could describe the GPL as a constitution, defending the liberty of
> the software to be mixed and copied.

Well that is close to what is already consent in the movement, that is,
calling free software a human right that is represented in form of the
GPL
> Thanks,

Greetings,
Felix