Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC - "Like GNU" computer refurbish program.

From: Will Hill
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC - "Like GNU" computer refurbish program.
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 11:36:53 -0600

On Friday 25 November 2016, Andri Effendi wrote:
> Won't spooks take advantage of this? ...
> How can we be certain that this won't put Journalists, Activists and
> Students lives in danger?

Yes, of course spooks do what spooks do, but every step in the right direction
helps.  Having journalists and activists on Windows and other Prism platforms
is the worst, so Like GNU is better than porting free software to Prism
platforms.  By giving people software freedom on older computers, I make it
that much harder for spooks.  I will tell journalists and activists that they
should use Respects Your Freedom certified computers and why.  Even then, I
can't protect my neighbors from people who would harm them.  Only a free
society can do that.  My program teaches people that a free society is
possible and encourages them to make the effort themselves.

This is how I learned.  Several people told me about free software and the
community made it easy for me to install and use it.  Now, I'm lucky enough
to be in a position to do the same for other people.  Things have changed a
little since then.  Thanks to Edward Snowden, we know that simply using
encryption brings black listing and punishment from our evil government.
That makes it all the more important for us to fight back.

Maybe branding will help.  I think we have all been trying to do this for our
neighbors.  I've just given it a logo and a name that imply love, courage,
thrift, and improvement.  Those are things the community has that everyone
likes.  I hope computer stores everywhere do this.