Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software K-12 schools and colleges

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software K-12 schools and colleges
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 07:28:02 -0500

Hi Vito: The LibrePlanet Ontario group meets once a month, usually
online with Mumble, but in the past some of us were meeting
semi-regularly in person. You've just missed our January meeting, held
on the 24th.

You can see what we've been up to at

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario

We're currently pursuing two strategies:

1) Get the Canadian government to release electronic tax filing
specifications so that Free Software tax preparation software can be
written

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario/FLCTPSP

2) Planning for some type of educational activity once the snows have
retreated ("street team outreach")

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Ontario/Software_Freedom_Day_2016

Feel free to join us for our next meeting on 24 February 2017  (sorry,
I'm behind in  updating the wiki and podcasts)

- --Bob.

On 2017-01-25 06:14 PM, Vito Torleone wrote:
> Thanks Zak.
>
> Are you aware of local FSF chapters or user groups that meet in
> person? I'm thinking about organizing such a group with the goal
> of educating members of my community about free software, having
> free software distribution installation events and discussing
> privacy protection tools etc. - all in light of thinking globally
> by acting locally, which may be especially important in these
> uncertain times. I attended user group meetings about various
> topics 20+ years ago and they were always very helpful. Is this a
> model of free software activism that can be effective with online
> assistance now just a few clicks away? Is the personal touch still
> relevant?
>
> Anyone else please feel free to chime in!
>
> Vito
>
> On 01/25/2017 05:09 PM, Zak Rogoff wrote:
>> On 01/25/2017 05:55 AM, Vito Torleone wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Can anyone provide a list of K-12 schools or colleges that use
>>> only free software in their work with students? I'm
>>> particularly interested in institutions in the New York City
>>> metro area, but Northeast/mid-Atlantic would also be helpful.
>>> I'd like to track down potential contacts and determine if they
>>> might be attending this year's Libre Planet.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Vito
>>>

>> If you find even one such school, I'd be thrilled. It would also
>> be worth making a list of schools that offer GNU/Linux computers
>> to students, as a wider net to cast.
>
>> The LibrePlanet Wiki is always available if you'd like to make a
>>  collaborative list: libreplanet.org
>
>> Glad to see people getting excited for LibrePlanet. It's gonna be
>> a fun one.

- --

- --
Bob Jonkman <bjonkman@sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-635-9413