Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ISPs that block port 80

From: Dr. Tom McKellips
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ISPs that block port 80
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 10:49:39 -0500

I would take this blockage of outbound traffic on 80 and 443 one step
further, free speech is one thing, but the other effect is interstate
and international commerce is being randomly restricted by what is now
essentially a utility provider. While the Internet was in it's infancy,
it was not a necessary tool for society; the telephone and electric
started in the same general ways. Today the Internet as grown to
something some of the population depends on for an income and in some
case survival.
Therefore technically the Internet has become a public utility and an
Internet provider is a provider of a public utility. Public utilities,
which were regulated by states, were not allowed to discriminate in
providing that utility to a person (you still had to pay the bill,
unless some type of mitigating circumstances). The Internet provider
which is blocking certain ports is creating a discrimination, therefore
negatively affecting ones quality of life. What needs to be done is get
government to recognize the ISP as a public utility provider and stop
them from any type of discrimination (human or technical).

Dr. Tom McKellips