Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding [A]GPLv3+ code to Quake-based code base

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Adding [A]GPLv3+ code to Quake-based code base
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 16:06:11 -0700

On 08/29/2017 02:58 PM, Lyberta wrote:
> Aaron Wolf:
>> You'll need the "or any later version" clause from the GPLv2 stuff. You
>> can ask all the copyright holders if they are willing to add it.
>
> I have talked to other developers and they clarified that the code has
> "or any later version" clause. So that means I can add GPLv3+ code to
> it. However, can I add AGPLv3+ code to it? GNU says AGPLv3+ and GPLv2
> are incompatible, but are GPLv2+ and AGPLv3+ compatible?
>
> [1]: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list#AGPL

ALL code under GPLv3 or able to be compatible with GPLv3 is compatible
with AGPLv3 because the GPLv3 has an explicit clause that says the code
can be used in an AGPLv3 project. But that's a one-directional
compatibility, so it requires that the overall combination be under AGPLv3.

In short, GPLv2+ and AGPLv3 (with or without the +) *are* compatible,
but the resulting combo will be AGPL overall.