[libreplanet-discuss] Dropbox vs. Linux

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Dropbox vs. Linux
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2018 19:46:15 -0400 (EDT)

I am not a Dropbox user, so don't know a huge amount about it...  However a
friend was just posting that apparently DropBox is dropping their support for
most of Linux - according to the SlashDot thing he linked to, DropBox is only
going to support files from non-encrypted Ext4 file systems...

He was wondering about alternatives....

I pointed him at OwnCloud and a few others I found by searching for DropBox in
the FSF Free Software Directory, but any other suggestions?

I will say that I am a bit perplexed by the description of what DropBox is
supposedly doing.  My understanding has always been that all the file handling
was done by the O/S (Gnu/Linux or other) in a transparent manner - you (a
program) requests read/write on a file and the O/S handles it through the file
system driver such that it always looks the same to the requester...  If so,
how how would DropBox even know what file system you were using, let alone
care???

(Of course I've never understood why you would want to store your files on
other people's computers to begin with, but that is a separate issue....)

ART

Arthur Torrey - <arthur_torrey@comcast.net>