Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software

From: overthefalls
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software is not trusted software
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 22:34:22 -0700

On 2019-01-27 12:40, Julian Daich wrote:
El 27/1/19 a las 0:35, bill-auger escribió:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 22:17:39 +0100 Julian wrote:
El 21/1/19 a las 4:02, bill-auger escribió:
one reviewer for each 10,000 to 100,000 software projects;

So it will be worth to advice users.
There can be many ways to rank software trustability.

that is missing my point

It is just thinking different.

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 22:17:39 +0100 Julian wrote:
I mentioned the ranking solution because it is worth for me and also
for other big and skilled parties.

i find the idea of ranking software to be inappropriate and
counter-productive to any common goal -

Wikipedia ranks pages all the time and they are doing well. As you
pointed before most of the software will not be reviewed unless there is
a real interect on checking it.

 Best,

Julian

 unless that goal is to
shame people - software development is not a sport - no one needs to
keep score - such rankings could only lead to some projects optimizing
for the "score" as to snowball it into the "leader" position; while
others who behave more sincerely by focusing on the work rather than
the vague prescriptions of some external committee, and perhaps ranking
lower for that reason, would be starved for the attention that they
deserve; because everyone who puts their faith in the ranking system
would view them as hopelessly untrustworthy, simply for not playing
"the game" as the committee prescribes