Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Samsung Galaxy S2 for Replicant (was: “Promot

From: Caleb Herbert
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Samsung Galaxy S2 for Replicant (was: “Promote NoPhone” is a path to nowhere)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:51:09 -0500

On 09/17/2019 09:38 AM, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Caleb Herbert <csh@bluehome.net> wrote:
>> I consider the ancient Galaxy S2 decent.
>
> A device without GPS and hardware graphic acceleration (unless you are
> willing to run nonfree software on CPU)?  Or even without Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
> (unless you are willing to run nonfree firmware)?

I don't care about GPS or Bluetooth.  I hate wireless stuff.  I have
autism and I always find the devices lose charge at the worst time.  I
just want it to always work.

I would happily use a Wi-Fi dongle over an OTG cable.

> That’s not saying about its obsolescence, which involves not only
> quantitative downsides but qualitative too: such as absence of LTE modem.

I've heard the dwindling of 2G makes the device impossible to use.
Perhaps it really doesn't work anymore.

> Replicant is not Libreboot, it does not require any flashing.  It is
> installed just like as any other Android-based OS.

That's a relief, although I don't know what all is involved in rooting
and changing the OS on a mobile device.  Last time I tried, it was hard
for me to do.

>> costs five hundred dollars last time I checked.
>
> Wow!  That’s for sure a local issue.  I’ve just checked, in Moscow you could
> get a _new_ Galaxy S2 for 85 $ (which I still found unacceptably expensive
> for a 2011 Android phone, but if someone really needs it new), used — from 25
> $.

Oh, wow!  I might have gotten one many years ago if I knew this!  I've
been jonesing for a camera.  (Remind me again: Which Replicant device is
fortunate to have at least the back camera working?)

Thank you for all your help!

--
Caleb Herbert
KE0VVT