[libreplanet-discuss] What will we do without Richard Stallman? Push for

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] What will we do without Richard Stallman? Push for more software freedom as per usual.
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 18:14:17 -0500

fudmier via libreplanet-discuss wrote:
Forcing human rights and democracy first Icon Stallman to resign..seems
to suggest a bigger plan with roots in a design that has as its object
to deny to the world the open source developer invented products and
instructional expertise.
It would be better not to conflate Stallman or his work with "open source". As he (and history) have made clear: he founded the free software movement (a social movement) over a decade before "open source" (a development methodology). He has mentioned in multiple interviews, articles, and virtually every speech I've ever heard him give (including almost all on https://audio-video.gnu.org/) that he does not stand for open source but for free software. I trust the readership of this mailing list doesn't need anyone to recite a long list of links to this end. For anyone new to free software: welcome and please do read the essays on https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ because the issues discussed therein are still apropos to the FSF's central mission and what we mainly talk about on this mailing list.

Gee, what will we do without Richard Stallman?

You might not have intended it this way, but I hope that this question is taken with utmost seriousness. Fortunately for us he's not dead; RMS can continue to publish informative, insightful essays & talks on his own. However:

1. RMS is mortal and (like us all) will someday die,
2. the FSF has begun a search for a new president. (per https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-m-stallman-resigns),

Because of these things there is a chance someone will become the next FSF president who isn't the sharp defender of software freedom RMS has always been.

It would be a shame if the FSF made a compromise where they favored sating a desire for identity politics, say, and occasionally gave into proprietor pressure groups or ran proprietary software over someone who consistently demonstrated unyielding support for software freedom. I hope they'll pick someone who is deeply informed about free software, and who possesses a sharp, critical stance in defense of software freedom. The mission of the FSF doesn't change just because they get a new president.