Re: GNU Mailman settings for this list

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: GNU Mailman settings for this list
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 02:03:38 +0300

Ian Kelling <iank@fsf.org> wrote:
> Dmitry Alexandrov <321942@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> In short, I propose to refrain from _any_ mangling of messages.
>
> I brought up some points, but I don't feel too strongly one way or the other.
> I think John S is fond of the footer.

If the reason for a footer to exist is to remind how to unsubscribe, I’d like
to note, that:

1. It actually says nothing about unsubscription.

2. MUAs that an unsophisticated user would probably use, that is unfortunately
web-based and nonfree, normally support ‘List-Unsubscribe’ header.  Namely:
- Google Mail [1]
- Yandex Mail [2]
- Yahoo Mail  [3]
- GMX         [only anecdotal evidence so far]
- Outlook.com [4]
and actually probably most of them.

[1] https://support.google.com/mail/answer/8151?hl=en
[2] https://yandex.com/support/mail/web/spam.html
    (to avoid running nonfree scripts, disable CSS and search for “you can
unsubscribe right from your mailbox”)
[3]
https://www.oath.com/press/introducing-reminders-and-unsubscribe-features-in-yahoo-mail/