Re: Linked in Alternative - free / privacy respecting

From: robbt
Subject: Re: Linked in Alternative - free / privacy respecting
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 10:50:06 -0400

A Libre Social Network focused on developer skills/profiles would be interesting but I'm not aware of anything like that currently in existence. Good idea, but building it would take a lot of time and effort.

One of the major challenges of building something totally libre at this point is finding the funding or otherwise securing the commitment of developers to make it happen. Keybase I think in some ways was designed around this concept at least with the encryption aspects but they were just bought by Zoom. In some ways Github operates in this sphere in terms of building a social graph of contributions but it is of course owned by Microsoft at this point and their underlying codebase has never been free software as far as I know. Gitlab never got as much traction in terms of people using it as interconnected federation of instances but the libre version of it is used by a lot of projects.

Thanks for sharing you conceptual ideas though, it is inspiring just to think about the possibilities and remember that there are other people who share a similar vision even if we aren't yet in a position to build it.

Robbt