Online banking support for Linux?

From: Greg Knittl
Subject: Online banking support for Linux?
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 15:13:56 -0400

Hi All,

I'm in Ontario, Canada. My credit union, Meridian, only supports Microsoft Windows and Max OS X for online banking. https://www.meridiancu.ca/About-Meridian/Privacy-and-Security.aspx under browser requirements.

I doubt they have any legal or regulatory obligation to support Linux - but it's getting to the point where it's almost a necessity to bank online, especially with COVID-19. I think the government needs to step in to regulate online banking terms and conditions.

Any thoughts on legalities?

From the https://www.meridiancu.ca/About-Meridian/Privacy-and-Security.aspx especially the section titled Your Online Privacy they describe fairly vague security procedures that would be difficult to completely follow even if I installed Windows or MAC OS X. I.e. if there were an issue I have the feeling the "100% Security Guarantee" wouldn't amount to much. Also these are not really platform specific requirements and they could just as well apply to Linux.

They have offered to support me remotely by paper mail and phone (I now have a cell phone which I doubt is particularly secure) which I will probably do for now.

Any thoughts on technical issues? How would a financial institution write platform independent online banking terms and conditions? I cringe at how much attack surface a browser adds especially with javascript. Maybe I've spent too much time on the command line, but sending encrypted files back and forth by email or ftp or internet get/post seems safer to me.

Has anyone found an institution that officially supports Linux, particularly in Canada?

thanks,
Greg