Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: quiliro
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 19:17:09 -0500

What a great analysis and discussion. Thank you very much, Pen-Yuan
Hsing and all participants!

For me, freedom seen as the center of the discussion is a great success
for us. Most people think economy is the main topic. But freedom is the
mother of economy (without freedom, there could not be economic
autonomy). Other people think that functionality is prime. So they incur
in the same error: searching a destination by looking for the streets,
not at the objective.

I think that by looking at the practical results of one or other policy,
we can see if they are good or bad for our goals. We can see that
copyleft has done great benefit, even against the efforts of people that
do not value the user's freedom, even against people that use GPL while
ttrying to hinder user's rights.

I do also think that sustainability is the best tool for the success of
a project. So I would try to help copyleft software adopt a sustainable
economic, social and even political model. snowdrift.coop sounds good
for that objective. I have not investigated fully. But it certainly has
good looks.