Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(

From: Marinus Savoritias
Subject: Re: The sad decline of copyleft software licenses? :(
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2020 15:38:04 +0200

On 10/1/20 2:27 PM, Jean Louis wrote:
* Marinus Savoritias <marinus.savoritias@disroot.org> [2020-10-01 12:09]:
That sounds very priviledged to me.

Today people are losing access to their software and they lose access to
banking, democracy, free speech among others.

20 years ago it may have been sharing. Today though Free Software is about
equality, democracy, economic independence among just a few.

It is very much about justice.

Free software is not there to impose harsh justice on the GPL
violators.

Why take them to court then? Ask them politely to open source stuff.
We don't even need Copyleft by that point.

When Stallman was speaking about justice at the time of begin of free
software movement, he was speaking about injustice caused by
proprietary programs in the world, he wanted to create new free
software that will be just, contrary to what was already established
as injustice.

And we want to establish it with Justice for the user. So he doesnt get his freedom limited.

That sounds like Justice to me.

Please read here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-violation.html

and here:
https://www.fsf.org/licensing/enforcement-principles

Quotes:

Our primary goal in GPL enforcement is to bring about GPL
compliance. Copyleft's overarching policy goal is to make respect of
users' freedoms the norm. The

Legal action is a last resort. Compliance actions are primarily
education and assistance processes to aid those who are not following
the license. Most GPL violations occur by mistake, without ill
will. Copyleft enforcement should assist these distributors to become
helpful participants in the free software projects on which they
rely. Occasionally, violations are intentional or the result of severe
negligence, and there is no duty to be empathetic in those cases. Even
then, a lawsuit is a last resort; mutually agreed terms that fix (or
at least cease) further distribution and address damage already done
are much better than a battle in court.

Of course FSF doesn't take them to court immediately. There is no money for that. It is still a matter of injustice though.

Marinus Savoritias

Jean