Possible promotional article

From: Paul Sutton
Subject: Possible promotional article
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 14:36:00 +0000

Hi all

I am looking at submitting a short (needs to be about 330 words) article to a local community publication in Torbay, Devon.

I can't find the exact dates for LP 2021 but so far have come up with the following,

It may not get big reach, but it is publicity, at least.

How does the following sound, please, and is it ok to do this?

I can also include the LP logo to go along side the article. The first part is clearly quoted from the LP website.

I am a little short on 330 word with this, but this allows for some editing.

Thank you for any help, hopefully it can help get LP 2021 promoted.

Paul

--- draft wording ---
LibrePlanet [1] is the annual conference hosted by the Free Software Foundation [2]. LibrePlanet provides an opportunity for community activists, domain experts, and people seeking solutions for themselves to come together in order to discuss current issues in technology and ethics. The theme for LibrePlanet 2021 is Empowering Users.

As with last year, due to the Covid19 pandemic, Libreplaent will take place as an online event. This also has the advantage of allowing more people to attend who may not, for example, be able to get to Boston, MA, USA for the physical event.

Free software is more than about cost, it really means freedom and the GNU Public license
[3] gives users 4 freedoms, defined below.

* The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0). * The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
   * The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
* The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3).

The event will take place in March 2021 and, as with previous years will have a mix of Keynote speeches, workshops, longer talks and lightning talks by a wide range of people from different technical backgrounds and age groups. This year the theme is going to be Empowering Users.

Some of the talks from the 2020 conference included; Teaching about free software, Free software and science, Libreoffice, bridging the digital divide with free software.

Should be another interesting and successful event. Dates are to be confirmed, but by the time of publication should be on the website.

1. https://libreplanet.org/2021/
2. https://www.fsf.org/
3. https://www.gnu.org/
4. https://www.raspberrypi.org/