Re: What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of Libre

From: quiliro
Subject: Re: What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of Libre software and like gmail isn't stored locally?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 09:43:02 -0500

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of
>> Libre software and like gmail isn't stored locally?
>
> https://www.fsf.org/resources/webmail-systems

Nice recomendations.  Thanks.  There, it mentions Email-in-a-Box:

https://mailinabox.email/

The only way to have control of your email is to have your own server,
which will be under your control. With Email-in-a-Box you can set up
your own email server without much IT knowledge.  I have never tested
it.

https://mailinabox.email/guide.html

It looks nice, besides the fact that you need to have unblocked
SMTP ports, which most home connections do not have open.  So you must
use a virtual server, which would not be under your control.

The only real solution is to pay the price to have a public fixed IP
address with unblocked SMTP ports (ports 25, 465 and a couple of
others).  A way to do this cheaply is to agree with others to share the
cost.